1. Kathy Riley
    Jun 10 - 3:12 pm

Thank you for this information! I’ve never been so happy to have a mood disorder in my life! My functional MD gives me glutathione IVs with methylated B vitamins once a month (after an initial round of one IV per week for 10 weeks), and I’m good to go. The IVs are especially healing now that he is adding a “shot” of phosphatidyl choline (PC) after each IV. I get the impression that he is combining info from Rich Van K and Patricia Kane.

Jun 10 - 3:22 pm

Very interesting Kathy. That brings to mind Dr. Peterson’s statement that most alternative remedies don’t work in his patients but there’s a group they are helpful in and it sounds like you’re in that group. Actually, I’ll bet there will be a bunch of groups over time…

2. Humphrey
    Jun 10 - 4:53 pm

Thanks for a great article, Cort.

One question – when you say that “Delayed hypotension didn’t work out”, do you mean that is was found to not be the whole answer (as opposed to suggesting that neurally mediated hypotension is not present in many ME/CFS patients)?

Jun 10 - 9:20 pm

Yes, it was found to be a smaller piece of the puzzle than originally thought..

3. Ian Hodgson PhD
    Jun 10 - 9:28 pm

How do you think Natelsen’s ideas fit with current research out of the labs of Prof. Sonya Marshall and the Spanish group of J. Castro-Marrero, et al.who’s immunological biomarkers are quite strong indeed. These are also consistent with the mitochondrial dysfunction which is also well established by people such as Brad Chazotte. Indeed chronically raised IFN-gamma causes serious mitochondrial membrane depolarization. If you have such mitochodrial dysfunction you will have glutathione depletion and raised oxidative stress.

Jun 10 - 9:34 pm

I don’t know. Natelson does believe that a pathogen/immunological problem is driving the oxidative stress ( peroxnitrite/isoprostane level) that may be vasocontricting the blood vessels in the brain (causing the cellular hypoxia and white spots on the MRI). He’s not into mitochondrial dysfunction but I think he would probably agree that mitochondrial output would be limited. I didn’t know about the IFN-gamma..thanks.

4. Gijs
    Jun 11 - 3:57 am

I believe this is the best theory explaning the symptoms but what drives this problem? It can be the immune system. I was wondering how Natelson split CFS patiënts in 2 groups. One with moodproblems or aniety and the other one without these problems. We know that many CFS patiënts have secondary moodproblems as well. How did he do that? I believe that low bloodflow/vasocontricting in the small vessels of the whole body is the central problem. It can explain every symptom!

• Gijs
      Jun 11 - 3:59 am

I also have little white spots in my brainnot only in my frontal cortex (cerebrum and cerebellum). I have severe POTS.

• cort
      Jun 11 - 4:35 pm

He split the groups up throughout a series of papers over 10 years or so. I’m not sure how he determined who had mood disorders or not I would bet though that the great majority of patients with mood disorders got their mood disorders after coming down with ME/CFS. It could have been the same triggering agent -and a different ‘host response’ as they say.

I’m with you on the vasoconstriction in the small blood vessels! My body tells me that’s where it is…we’ll see if intuition ends up being right. (Hopefully we will :))

5. Ian Hodgson PhD
    Jun 14 - 3:18 am

Do you know many who have tried THC, especially low dose THC.

This article is interesting:

Jun 14 - 7:18 am

I don’t. I haven’t tried THC but in my experience medical marijuana is really good with sleep, relaxation and pain. I don’t get high from it….I just feel like my system calms down…Thanks for the article I plan to do a blog on medical marijuana.

6. Veteran
    Jun 18 - 12:57 am

I believe i have both a neurological and immunological problem as i have acquired a late onset epilepsy and b-cell leukemia (also classified as a non-hodkin’s lymphoma) which is more often prevalent in the much older male population. Perhaps this is a different subgroup again?

Jun 18 - 6:41 am

I would think so. Dr. Peterson appears to have increased rates of NHL in his group in Nevada.. I imagine there’s an seizure/epileptic group present. Good luck!

7. Victoria
    Jul 04 - 4:10 pm

I’m 61 and was diagnosed with CEBV at age 34, which was later called CFS. My first outbreak was age 27. Took that long to find someone able to diagnose it. When the CEBV was active and I was very tired, I would have some kind of black outs. I’d be driving and conscious of it and end up finding myself at my destination and having no recognition of getting there as if I’d been asleep. If I get extremely tired, I get so dizzy that I have to go to bed for 3-4 hours. With increased fatigue comes increased pain. I now also have Neuropathy, HBP that started at age 34, osteoarthritis, have had multiple broken bones and intermittant tachycardia and irregular heartbeat. I’m using Neurontin but need occassional Hydrocodone. In my area, all the Drs know is pain killers that cause CA and antidepressants. There has to be a better treatment. The very worse part is that no one believes you and treats you accordingly. A lot of what you are feeling doesn’t even show on your face.
    Why has so little progress been made with this ailment all these yrs? We have suffered much.

Jul 04 - 5:21 pm

The federal government has never made a commitment to ME/CFS. That’s where the money is….When that changes we’ll make progress. Our system is not set up to support those in need. Its set up to support what researchers want to study. When those intersect the system works; when they don’t it doesn’t; it certainly hasn’t for us…