1. Issie
    Oct 18 - 1:42 pm

Interesting!

I just had a friend clue me in to something he’s been looking into in regard to the dorsal root ganglion and immunoglobulinfree light chains, mast cells and a connection to autoimmune problems. Others are connecting these issues to not only pain, but maybe our connections with autoimmune, POTS and MCAS.

Many of us have suspected issues with the sodium channels. But some of the other ion channels can be at play too. (This explains ion channels and how they work.)

Wiki also has a good write-up about ion channels, if you want to learn a little more detail about the different channels and how they function.

Issie

Oct 18 - 1:48 pm

Thanks Issie

Lots of interest in the DRG’s….I look forward to learning more about them.

2. Betsy
    Oct 18 - 2:20 pm

I am so impressed with the medical knowledge and understanding of this blog and it’s readers. I wish I had that sharpness, but I still appreciate having a general overview of what’s happening in research. Has anyone tried marijuana?

Oct 18 - 2:28 pm

I’ve tried medical marijuana. I haven’t used it regularly but it works quite well for me for pain and sleep.

• Betsy
        Oct 18 - 9:00 pm

Thanks Cort. I talked to one of the brothers who were a part of Sanjay Gupta’s special “Weed.” He has a store here in the Springs and thought a combination of strains would work best.

3. Sue
    Oct 18 - 3:01 pm

Cort, great article, as always, but a couple of small nitpicks: in the teaser and in the article, “Israeli” is spelled wrong once each place.

Oct 18 - 6:01 pm

Whoops. Thanks I fixed the one in the blog…

4. pfj
    Oct 18 - 6:54 pm

(1) There has been quite a bit of interest in conotoxin . . . toxin from the cone snail. Deadliest venom in the world? Cone snails are something that swimmers, surfers, divers are warned about offshore of Australia (and probably other places). Same concept as scorpion venom, perhaps?

(2) I remember the story of a woman who was from England but living in Egypt at the time. She had M.S. and therefore pain, stiffness, spasticity — whatever symptoms are similar to CFS. She tried “snake oil” but it was the real thing. A tiny bit of cobra venom in “black seed oil.” Black seed oil is from black cumin; very well thought of in the herbal community.

The snake oil worked amazingly well. But because she had very little money, she couldn’t continue. The next time she tried just the black seed oil — not particularly helpful.

Perhaps the cobra venom effect was in the same ballpark as scorpion and cone snail? There are a whole variety of enzymes, each one specific to some snake or adder or whatnot.

Those enzymes have “lysin” in their name — ophiolysin (king cobra), horrilysin (timber rattlesnake), trimerelysin (habu snake) and so on.

They all have at least one thing in common. They all require zinc as a co-factor. So one has to wonder, is there any traction to be gained from knowing about this co-factor requirement?

5. Deborah Waroff
    Oct 19 - 12:05 am

Excellent article.
    A few years ago I read about some Australians working on a pain cure derived from sea snails or some similar sea creature. Don’t know what became of that.

6. Helle Nielsen
    Oct 19 - 4:32 am

Thank you for more interesting knowledge. Channels are my favorite topic. Please, let me draw your attention to this thorough report about channels:

“Channelopathies, receptor and solute carrier disorders in neurology

• Issie
      Oct 19 - 11:57 am

COOL! A little “light” :) reading. I’m looking forward to reading it. I’m interested in genes and epigenetics too. I think if something can get “turned on” – we could possible turn it back off with the right direction. Be it with our diets, supplements, medicines etc. I also believe that we can avoid having a gene mutate and “turn on” by addressing our diet and lifestyle. Just because we have inherited the gene – doesn’t mean it will activate. (For example – you may have inherited the gene for Alzheimers and may have family members with it. Doesn’t mean you will get it. But, does mean you are predisposed to it and if you know that, you should take steps to avoid activation of that gene. Same with cancer and some other illnesses. Lifestyle choices make a difference.)

Thanks for the link!

Issie

7. Helle Nielsen
    Oct 19 - 4:33 am

“Channelopathies, receptor and solute carrier disorders in neurology Autoantibodies and biomarkers of neurological disorders” By Finn E. Somnier, M.D., D.Sc. (Med.)

Oct 20 - 11:03 am

Thanks Helle…

8. Pat
    Oct 19 - 9:56 pm

Thanks for another interesting blog Cort. Somehow, I’m not surprised about the Scorpion venom nor that of snails, worms, bees, snakes, etc. Many, many years ago, I gave myself cobra venom injections, three times a day, for almost a year. It helped some but not enough to continue the injections over a longer period of time. My recollection from researching it at the time is that the cobra venom therapy was developed at the height of the polio epidemic for treatment of some polio patients.

A few years later, after spending a week at American Biologics, I took a combination of snake venom injections for a short period of time. I think that combination might have consisted of Krait, Cobra, and Water Moccasin venom but I can’t remember for sure. Whatever it was, I couldn’t tolerate it for long because my arm swelled up too much.

9. Sue Carpenter
    Oct 24 - 8:06 am

Have I missed an article about Cannabis oil ? If so please direct me to one,I have been reading about THC & CBD sounds good if you can get the right dosage!

Oct 24 - 9:47 am

I haven’t gotten it out but it’s on the list. It’ll probably be out around the first of the year actually.

10. Helle Nielsen
    Nov 06 - 12:41 am

Mutations in Nav1.9 Voltage-Gated Sodium Channel Found in Inherited Pain Condition