1. issie
    Mar 07 - 5:44 pm

I’ve often questioned if men have checked their balance between estrogen vs. Testosterone. There seems to be an estrogen dominance issue for many women. One thing to take a look at in this regard is xenoestrogens. We get them from plastics and in our foods. I once had a doc tell me to quite eating chicken because of the high amount of estrogen they are injected with to make them grow fast. He said it is especially bad for boys and men, because it imbalances the hormone ratios. Sometimes we may think we are helping ourselves with maybe eliminating red meat, but the “white” meat (chicken) may have other potential problems. I was just reading a writeup by Dr. McGregor about fish being the main cause of us getting industrial pollution. The more I read about diet, the more convinced I am that this is our key to better health. I’m more determined to stick with my lowfat, whole food, vegan lifestyle.

Mar 08 - 9:50 am

I know that I do not do well with Foster Farms type chickens and often feel depleted after eating them. The same is not true for antibiotic free chickens. I’m sticking with those

2. James
    Mar 07 - 5:48 pm

I think it it worth looking very carefully at studies comparing sex differences in diseases. I am sure there significant differences (obviously there are physical and hormonal differences) but at the same time social factors have to be taken into consideration when considering how many of each sex have a particular disease. There are many men who short of being unable to move are not going to show up at a doctor’s office for treatment or take part in a survey on health issues or for that matter show up at a support group for something like CFIDS where women usually do outnumber men by a significant amount.

Mar 08 - 9:53 am

I remember Dr. Clauw saying men tend to get diagnosed with structural problems while some tend to get diagnosed with fibromyalgia. Why? Because when men complain about pain doctors tend to look really hard for the source of it – sometimes finding something that isn’t really there – while they’re more likely to assume that it’s all in the head of the woman in pain.

3. Edie Summers
    Mar 07 - 6:13 pm

Great articles, thank you.

4. Helle Nielsen
    Mar 08 - 1:54 am

I do not know if it’s a good idea, but here is a patent application for the treatment of CFS and fibromyalgia with an androgen composition: “The invention relates to methods for the treatment of fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome by administration of a transdermally applied androgen composition.”

Mar 08 - 9:54 am

Interesting. Thanks for pointing that out.

5. Clare Alyce Jane Markwick
    Mar 08 - 1:54 am

Sounds like MTHFR to me!

6. Simon McGrath
    Mar 08 - 2:57 pm

Really interesting piece Cort, thanks

7. sarah bellany
    Mar 08 - 9:24 pm

Ohh what a teaser at the end!

I had an implanon (progesterone implant) for years and got it taken out after i got sick, in case it was a contibuter – and then kept declining. I now use p.cream on certain days of the alalmonth (the crying days) and get relief 30mins after application (from crying and tenseness). But i cant use much and if i get it wrong, too much on the wrong day, i get worsen neck inflammation. I really dislike messing with hormones as I was on eostrogen cream for a while (for utis) and i wonder if that was part of my pre m.e. triggers.

I wish they would research this area more as I’m certain that without hormone fluctuations, i would steadily get better, rather than step backwards every month.

Thanks for another great post Cort.

Mar 09 - 11:39 am

Thanks….I hope we get more work in this area. I can’t believe but that some big pieces of the mystery are found in this area.

8. Matthias
    Mar 09 - 12:31 am

Very interesting article. I came down with cfs after I had been on the acne drug accutane.I always felt that was more than coincidence. I recently read that accutane reduces testosterone. Has any guy here tried testosterone to help cfs?

• John Bochenek
      Mar 18 - 10:27 am

Yes, see my comment below.

9. elisan
    Mar 09 - 2:03 pm

Thanks for the article Cort, and for the link Helle Nielson.

Another issue to look at would be whether more men than women beat these illnesses. It sometimes appears that way to me.

10. John Bochenek
    Mar 18 - 10:13 am

Great article. I believe it hits at the heart of what will eventually help many people with ME/CFS.

Last year I was diagnosed with pneumonia at a local ER, had problems with my heart and was beginning to experience tissue decay in my feet as a result of poor circulation. I thought my time was short.

My doctor refused my request for testosterone as I tested in the normal level. So I went to a clinic that specializes in hormone replacement therapy and began treatment. My life has taken a dramatic turn for the better. I cannot say that I am totally cured or in remission from ME/CFS, but at the rate I am progressing I will be sometime this year.

In researching the topic, I found surprising information concerning testosterone and women. (There is so much myth and misperception even among doctors concerning this.) The website is operated by Dr. Rebecca Glaser who has been a breast cancer surgeon through most of her career. She has published several medical journal articles detailing her work with testosterone and anastrozole in women. The results are shocking. In following over 1000 women for five years, she showed a better than 50% drop in breast cancer numbers (75% for those who were in for five years).

Dr Glaser now helps a wide variety of male and female patients (mostly autoimmune) through the use of this therapy. After testing hormone levels, she has a pharmacy compound a pellet that is placed under the skin every 4-6 months. If you read the article she co-authored on the top 10 myths regarding testosterone and women, you will find that testosterone is the #1 biologically active hormone in women, as well as several other dispelled myths.

Other research has been done by other doctors as well. One clinical trial demonstrated that elderly women experiencing congestive heart failure were helped significantly by testosterone.

The lawsuits and negative press that is predominant right now concerning testosterone is based on studies where it was administered without an aromatase inhibitor such as anastrozole. Without this, testosterone is converted to estradiol in the body. While testosterone prevents oxidative damage and protects mitochondrial function, the opposite is true for estradiol (a form of estrogen). So if you just administer testosterone, you run the risk of higher oxidative stress and the many health problems that follow it.

Mar 18 - 1:23 pm

Thanks a lot John and congratulations on your improvement.