Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) and Fibromyalgia Patients on Supplements That Help Them Sleep

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) and Fibromyalgia Patients on Supplements That Help Them Sleep

These comments on supplements to help with sleep came in with Health Rising's 2014 Sleep Survey. Add your comments below and I will incorporate them into the Resource

Magnesium and Magnesium Combinations
  • Magnesium (5 mention's without additional notes)
  • Muscleze (a supplement for restless legs containing magnesium), paracetemol
  • Magnesium oil spray/epsom salt bath
  • Chinese herbs for sleep, magnesium
  • Berthelsen Magnesium supplements
  • Applying moisturiser and anti-inflammatory creams helps with restless legs, as well as magnesium for restless legs.
  • Vit B6, salt, Magnesium, Calcium, Lithium, Biotin
  • Magnesium and sour cherry combination, natural tabs called Nuro calm by Metagenics.
Medical (or otherwise) Marijuana
  • Marijuana (8 mentions without additional notes)
  • Medical cannabis has done the most for my sleep and my pain
  • I am currently taking edible marijuana in order to sleep thru the night...I do sleep but still am exhausted all of the time.
  • Marijuana, the night after an acupuncture treatment (but only that one night). the night after an hour massage (but only that one night)
  • Small amount of vapored cannabis at night (about 4 puffs of suitable strain)
Melatonin
  • Combo of 10mg Melatonin and Revitalizing Sleep Formula. Every other supplement I have tried doesn't work. Haven't tried drugs and would rather not.
  • Good old Melatonin 10mg, knocks me out like a charm. Which is crazy because a long time ago, like 25 years, I was told the more you take the more awake you will stay. But apparently, the nature health store guy was wrong. Tried 5mg went to sleep for 5 hours, tried 10 mg, I sleep 10 hours, no joke. With ear plugs in a Nuclear Bomb could go off and I would never know it.
  • Melatonin seems to help maybe because I have a pineal cyst, also low on a few Pituitary hormones. When I do finally fall asleep I toss and turn with pain from side & lower back, reawaking at least 10 times throughout the night. I was on Zoloft and it helped me sleep right though the night , but also made me socially isolate myself.
  • Melatonin after 7 pm dinner time
  • 5- HTP and melatonin - from a 12 year old girl
  • A mix of melatonin, magnesium, passiflora, tomato powder
  • Melatonin and valerian root, wine, and meditation tapes have each helped occasionally.
  • Iodine protocol (high dose), melatonin cream
5-HTP
  • 5-HTP (100mg) 30 minutes before bed helps
  • 5HTP allowed me to sleep deeply for first time in 17 years, one side effect was vivid dreams
  • 5 HTP tablets have decreased the number of times I wake up.
  • 5- HTP and melatonin combination works - This is a 12 year old girl
  • A mix of melatonin, magnesium, passiflora, tomato powder
  • 5-HTP and BH4 work better for me than melatonin
GABA and Amino Acids
  • Taking L-Ornithine before bed helps, though I was also low in Ornithine according to an Amino Acid test. L-Carnosine can also help.
  • GABA, glycine, taurine
  • GABA
  • taking Gaba, L-theanine, and glycine every night, and also adding in switching between other supplements and meds on the nights I still have a hard time sleeping
  • Theanine (mentioned 2 x's)
  • GABA, L-theanine, and glycine every night, and also adding in switching between other supplements and meds on the nights - I still have a hard time sleeping
  • GABA, glycine, taurine
B Vitamins Plus
  • My sleep was particularly awful until I started an intensive vitamin B protocol. Now it is much more regulated and I can use antihistamines rather than powerful Rx. I still take a while to fall asleep and I wake up several times but it is better.
  • Vitamin B-12 injections help to stave off Parkinsonian-like sleep disturbances
  • Treating MTHFR with methyl folate made me wake up more refreshed several days per week after taking it for 4 months.
  • Methylcobalamin, Vit C, Vit B1
  • Vit B6, salt, Magnesium, Calcium, Lithium, Biotin
Over The Counter
  • Occasionally 1000mg of aspirin may help
  • Slow-release paracetamol
  • Applying moisturiser and anti-inflammatory creams helps with restless legs, as well as magnesium for restless legs.
  • Acetaminophen helps me sleep but even half a dose causes a hung over state the next day
  • Advil for pain, voltaren gel for pain, sex before sleep.
  • Pain medication (paracetamol)
  • Motrin
  • Night time Alleve
  • Taking cold medicine such as ZZquil to sleep.
  • Occasional use Alka Seltzer night-time cold med
Herbs
  • Ateril – herbal sleep aid
  • Rescue remedy
  • Skullcap
  • Curcumin longa
  • Passionflower supplement (drops)
  • Catnip, small snack, corydalis, valerian'
  • Californian Poppy Tincture but caused side effects; Warm Turmeric Milk
  • Byron White herbal treatments to detox heavy metals and to treat chronic Lyme disease have helped improve my quality of sleep. I take Detox II, EnviRad, and AL-1. Vitamin D3 also seems to have helped.
Other Vitamins/Supplements
  • Co Enzyme Q10
  • The quality of sleep has improved since I take the following at night: D3 5000 I.U., Calcium w/another 1000 I.U. of D3, Magnesium 500 mg., Good Multi (has minerals needed to help the others absorb better and I have always only been able to take my multi at night. I am now getting very deep sleep at least 1/2 of the week. Sleep is healing and vital with any illness or to prevent illness.
  • Highest strength Fish Oil tablets
  • Taking a supplement called ALA-ALCAR helps calm my nervousness just enough to rest. N-Acetyl-Cysteine will also produce deep sleep but then it lowers blood pressure the next day and causes further problems if used every day in a row
  • I am so happy to share with you that because of structured water my 17-year-long severe insomnia has been almost completely healed for a few months now. Pre-structured water, which I started drinking a year ago, my survey would have been marked very differently! VERY differently! All I can say is to research it for yourself and ask your body if it needs structured water! I bless you with health. www.structured-water-devices.com
  • A saline nasal spray
  • Guafesin - The two biggest things that used to prevent my sleep were shoulder pain and a burning sensation in my spine. If I managed to get to sleep on my side, then rolled onto my back, the burning spine would wake me up and force me out of bed. So now that my FM/CFS is reversed on the guaifenesin protocol, I can sleep on my side and on my back, and I wake refreshed. It's awesome
  • Probiotics (2x's)
Also see FM and ME/CFS Patients on Drugs and Drug Combinations that Help Them Sleep
Reactions: Not dead yet!
Author
Cort
Views
First release
Last update
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

More resources from Cort

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work