1. Gijs
    Mar 08 - 11:27 am

Publication ‘In Vivo’ is not verry ‘sexy’. This Journal is one of the lowest quality. I think that authors like Lombardi and also the WPI are not been taking serious after the XMRV debacle. This investigation was verry bad because the did not use any control group with infection. I do not think anybody is going to replicate these findings for this moment. So we never hear anything of this findings again. Like so many times before in ME/CFS studies.

Mar 08 - 12:14 pm

I imagine that they do have something of an uphill climb but it looks like they’re continuing the work and we’ll hear more from them in the future on this topic.

2. Valerie
    Mar 08 - 11:45 am

My question is: Could celiac disease (a genetic autoimmune disease triggered by the ingestion of gluten proteins from rye, wheat, oats and barley) also trigger HERV’s or the other way around? Many of us have both celiac disease and ME/CFS. I also have Enterviruses. Looks pretty important to tie these things together.
    Who could we ask, Cort?

Mar 08 - 12:16 pm

I don’t know Valerie. I do know that inflammation does appear to be able to trigger HERV activation. First they’ll to validate this finding with a larger study. If that works out I imagine they would start taking a much closer look at the gut and try to tie in other gut findings. That’s going to take awhile.

3. Suella
    Mar 08 - 9:08 pm

I have found a remarkable improvement in my ME/CFS problems of 10 years standing. It hasn’t gone away entirely but my use of a home-made yogurt with soya milk seems to have given me a real pro-biotic boost to my metabolism. I started it with a store bought soya yogurt and continue to make it as one does yogurt made with milk. From time to time I start my next batch with commercial soya yogurt, although I probably don’t need to.

My stamina improvement over the last few months, and your article makes me wonder if my ME/CFS problems may well have been gut influenced.

I shall watch this topic with great interest.

Mar 08 - 9:14 pm

Glad to hear it Suella. I’m having surprisingly good luck with a probtiotic as well. Ok – on a scale of 1-10 where were you before starting the probiotics and now?

We’re going to do a major series on the gut…:)

• Jeanna
        Mar 09 - 2:53 pm

Cort,

Do you know how I can make my own yogurt from coconut milk or almond milk?

I was in am ampligen study in 2001 and I do have fragmented RNaseL protein molecules.

I’m thinking that making my own yogurt is definately a step in the right direction.

Thanks,
        Jeanna

4. Robbie Goldstein
    Mar 09 - 4:06 pm

I went throughthe treatment for hepatitis C. After 5 weeks of 6 months treatment
    Interferon and ribavirin, I felt death was at my door. I I
    This to myself. Are you saying people with ME/CFS feel like this all
    The time.. Or similar? 2 OMG

5. Celeste Cooper
    Mar 10 - 1:03 pm

My review of the literature posted in the BIG book.
    In autoimmune disorders, tissue damage is
    present. The type of tissue damage typical of
    autoimmune disorders is not present in CFID
    patients. However, researchers report a similarity
    to autoimmune diseases in that there
    is a decrease in both the natural killer (NK)
    immune cells (the frontline against invasion)
    and T-cell activation markers (crucial to the
    immune system) in CFS patients.79 Another
    promising study shows that patients with
    CFID have an “underlying detectable abnormality
    in their immune cells.”
    Three other hypothetical causes have
    been posited, including deregulation of the
    2-5A synthetase/RN ase L pathway (part
    of the antiviral defense mechanism). There
    may be abnormal messaging that can initiate
    both intracellular hypomagnesaemia in
    skeletal muscles and transient hypoglycemia.
    Researchers think this might explain muscle
    weakness and the poor utilization of oxygen
    typically seen in CFID patients.

Am I on board? You bet I am. It is encouraging to see the amount of research regarding a gut connection to many autoimmune disorders. TY for sharing Cort.