1. VBee
    Jan 11 - 5:33 pm

Once again Cort has done a magnificent job, thank you Cort!
    What we get from Kristin’s Loomis answers though is a state of abandon for the ME/CFS population. If we are lucky enough to get to the clinic of a Prof. Montoya (which has an average wait of 3 years, correct me if I’m wrong) and we get our insurance to cover for one of the few extremely expensive antivirals (for a minimum of 6 months), we might be tempted to think that we have won the lottery … alas the reality is much more twisted and complicated and that is why the IOM contract is a despicable affair! My hope is that the few real ME experts/advocates will not accept any compromise. It’s us against THEM and the THEM have huge invested interests in not having a clear picture of ME as a “treatable” infectious disease.
    Excuse my rant ;)

Jan 11 - 6:11 pm

:)…

.I don’t know how big the viral subset of ME/CFS – no one does. We do know that some patients are helped alot by long term antivirals and that few doctors prescribe them, and few patients can afford them (or want to take them for that long.) .

If the Pridgen antiviral study – which uses much shorter term protocols and adds a Cox-2 inhibitor, has a positive result – then I think that has the potential to change things for both FM and ME/CFS.

2. Cheryl
    Jan 11 - 6:06 pm

I shutter to think that statins would work for us as they are showing up having direct links to Alzheimer’s. Having 2 parents with the disease, I don’t think I could ever willingly take them. I have taken valcyte and had some small success with it but my liver was not happy while I was on it.
    Thank you to Cort and to Kristin for all of this information. I am a patient of Dr. Montoya’s and will probably be making the trek this June.

Jan 11 - 6:15 pm

Hopefully CMX001 will pass muster and if it does it’ll very interesting to see how this antiviral works in those people with possible viral reactivation (if they can afford it)

I think your liver would be happy with it :)

3. Matthias
    Jan 11 - 6:09 pm
      Jan 11 - 6:13 pm

My guess – the brain is important and I gotta think that with all my muscle pain after exercise and the small nerve fiber stuff coming out that the body must play a role as well.

4. Marg
    Jan 11 - 7:27 pm

Hey Cort, Thanks for posting this. I live in Alabama and have been calling them about it. I thought I could get in on the trial but it had already started when I found out. Well, I had heard about it and knew it was going to happen and just plain waited too long.They have my name and will call so the office person said. We will see.

I am doing quite well though with Imunivor and LDN. I am off Acyclovior right now, it was putting the uric acid up after over 2 years. I will start back at a low does in a couple weeks and see what I get.

I will go back to Florida in May for the big immune testing. I will mention again that my natural killer cells went from only 5% to above normal. I still had some EVB read reactivation though.

Let’s hope that 2014 is going to be our year.

5. Forebearance
    Jan 12 - 2:40 pm

Thanks Cort and Kristin!

You know, Lauricidin works very well on me and I feel like it could possibly cure me if I could tolerate taking enough of it. When I take more than a tiny bit, my heart pounds in an alarming way.

• Forebearance
      Jan 20 - 2:53 pm

I want to add that I always take “Seven Precious Mushroom Extract” with the Lauricidin. For me, the mushroom extract acts as an anti-inflammatory and seems to keep the Lauricidin from causing too much inflammation as it kills things.

6. Jacque Simmons
    Jan 13 - 12:32 pm

Excellent Article! As I have slept for the last 4 days 14-16 hours a night! The BEAST is back… I don’t know if it is the EBV or HHV6 but sommmmething is kicking my A**! Headache, stiff neck, body pains and excruciating fatigue… A good alternative doc for Montoya is Dr. Kogelnik – who did the beginning research with Dr. Montoya. He is in Mountain View, California. I have found him to have more HEART than any other physician I have seen in my 35 years of illness. He is honest and lets you know that NO one has all of the answers…but they are working toward it feverishly!

I did try the Valcyte and it made me sooooo SICK… just couldn’t tolerate it! Maybe I will try the Equilibrant or a few of the other products mentioned in this article.

Thank YOU Cort…for all you do to keep HOPE alive for all of us…

Jacque Simmons

7. Sheila
    Jan 14 - 9:17 pm

Don’t you think if we were all terminating as quickly as HIV patients were that a cure would of come by now? I am suffering since July 4, 1982 (31 years) with this living death and I will admit that recently I had my first herpes outbreak just below my lip and was put on 2000 miligrams of Valtrex and suddenly not only did the outbreak go quickly, but I felt I slight relief in symptoms.
    Usually I eat a very pure diet to feel any kind of relief. However this anti-viral is helping a little and tomorrow and will see the doc and ask for a script of Celebrex and just hope she will continue to allow me the Valtrex. Then of course, the diet has to be pure…no sugar or chemicals and mostly organic.

I am now 70 and pray that this will be my magic bullet to get some relief and start to live a bit.

The Viral study will be published in March and we need to get more docs to participate in this treatment and make standard for those of us that have the viruses.

Jan 15 - 11:40 am

Good luck Sheila. I feel compelled to note that Dr. Pridgen has suggested that no one try the combination until he’s sure of the right dosage of each. I don’t know how long it will take to determine that, however. I don’t know if that information is going to come out in March or not.

Whatever happens – good luck!

8. Albert Chang
    Jan 17 - 5:05 pm

The more intricacies that I learn about HSV and VZV, the more I realize that these anti-virals — although effective as can be — may not be the end-all answer. I am extremely curious about what the experts think and feel when it comes to any and all activities that reside IN the ganglion. At this point, it’s still a black box, with speculative claims all over: virons reproduce even during latency; they stay dormant and don’t reproduce; they interfere with Adenosine utilization by the neuron; they cause neurons to die, etc. On one hand, it is rightfully so that research is geared towards treatments focused on inhibiting viral replication outside of the ganglion; but i just have this feeling that the ultimate path to normalcy for those of us who are most impacted by neuro-viral activity lies with treatment of the virus in those nerve clusters. Of course, per current ideals and opinions, that is a near-impossible feat. But, baby steps…